Sunday, February 16, 2020

When I Cannot See

          The road to the house was long, narrow, curvy, and steep. There was a thick fog that seemed to hover low and didn’t want to leave. With a car full of laughter and stories, we continued to climb the mountain at a slow pace. The time finally came when we had to park the car and continue on foot. The road appeared to go straight up, but with every step we knew we were getting closer to the destination. I had been told that the view from the top was magnificent, spectacular, simply breath taking. Our group was small, but a larger group awaited us farther ahead. The gate was just ahead and we opened it with great anticipation. Not to say that it wasn’t beautiful, but truthfully, the house wasn’t really what I was hoping to see. The brothers and sisters from the church were enjoying each other’s company while playing soccer, conducting games, and talking. The kids were swimming despite chattering teeth. The wrap around porch would have been a great viewpoint, but the haze covered all the natural beauty that I hoped to witness.

          After lunch, Thalita and I decided to walk up the mountain even further from the house in hopes of a clearer view. As we walked and talked, the clouds seemed to get lower and thicker. Upon arrival at the primary school on the top of the mountain, we were able to see more than 20ft. out. I was rather disappointed and even a bit discouraged to realize that I could do nothing to make the sky clear up. Then, to my dismay, the rain started to fall. Now, not only was I unable to take pleasure in the spectacular scenery, but now I was certain we would have to hurry back to the house in the rain! Thalita and I began singing while we waited under the school shelter wishing the rain would cease. Perhaps 5 minutes later, the rain started to slow down. We contemplated making a run for the house in case more rain was on its way. However, something kept us from leaving. Suddenly, we noticed that the clouds were starting to part and sunbeams were beginning to peak through the clearings. Was all my frustration and disappointment in vain? The clouds dispersed quickly while the sun began to shine more brilliantly. The panorama left me speechless and a bit thoughtful.




How often do I get discouraged because I am only looking at the storm I’m currently facing? Do I let the clouds take away the enjoyment of the blessings that God has placed all around me? To be fully honest, it is easy for me to be discouraged when our nursing school is supposed to be open, but continues to wait for final approval. But I have to stop and ask myself, “Am I letting this little setback keep me from the joy I could experience if I trusted that God will clear this roadblock when He is ready?”


1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful and thought provoking. And the photos are breathtaking! Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete